With a hook

I still haven’t unpacked enough to set up sewing, and I also am having trouble containing the yarn stash in my new craft-room-free house.  To solve my itchy fiber fingers, I dug out my largest crochet hooks, read up a little to remember how to use them, and gathered three big cones of cotton yarn with the aim of reducing my stash at least a bit.

First, a bath mat for one of the new bathrooms.  I love crochet for these, as it is dense and sturdy and easily laundered.  I held two blues and a white together with a 9 mm hook and it just ate up the yarn.  In fact, I had to stop when it was still square rather than rectangular because I ran out of the darkest blue.

IMG_9086

Next I made a little bowl/basket thing. Two strands this time, and a still large 6 mm hook.  Not sure what it will become . . . maybe I’ll roll up washcloths to stuff in it and put it on a shelf in the same bathroom?

IMG_9090

I used the single crochet stitch for both of them. About as simple as it gets with crochet. There was a little variety though. In the bathmat I hooked through just the front loop. With the bowl I hooked under both front and back loops. It makes a slightly different fabric as you can see in the pictures below. Hooking through just the front loop gives it a rather stripey effect. It creates lines across the surface. Hooking under both loops (right pic) makes a more pebbly surface on the fabric.

IMG_9095

And, as I said, it really went through the yarn quickly.  Of the three rather full cones, one is gone, and the other two are substantially reduced.  Maybe some dishcloths to finish them off?  And I don’t have to find room to store those cones at least – goal achieved!

The dog found the whole process very intriguing. Several times I had to track a string of yarn through the house to retrieve a cone he’d carried away.  And my son thought maybe I should make Theo a hat next time.  Theo and I are dubious about how successful that would be.

IMG_9089

(Post linked to Crazy Mom Quilts and Busy Hands Quilts)

Advertisements

A bit of progress

My new job started this week, which dramatically cut back on the amount of sewing time.  But well worth it for the upcoming paycheck!  It has been almost two years since I had a full time job, other than a couple of months subbing last spring, so getting up in the morning is taking some real adjustment.

But there has been some progress on the Night Sky quilt background.

Night Sky Stars in progress

I put in a secret star to amuse myself, and also had a lot of fun with the wonky flying geese row.

Night sky background detail image

And I dug through my stash and made a trip to the fabric store and have collected a lot of greens for the upcoming hills and forest parts.

Night sky quilt - greens

Actually, I’ve added a lot to the stash in the last few days.  Yesterday my sister and I went to the bulk fabric sale at Scrap.  I ended up with several grab bags of fabric, plus a big bag of upholstery fabric samples that are going to get added on to a long-in-progress patchwork project I’ve been working on.

The upholstery scraps dredged from the store’s giant bins:

Upholstery scraps

Scrap fabric grab bags

Above are two of the three grab bags.  Not everything will be loved, but I got a lot of great pieces to add to my scrap bin, some larger yardage to work with, and a bunch of great black and whites to add to my mini projects for the bedroom wall collection.

Black and white scraps from grab bag

And now back to making a little more progress on getting that sky finished.