I’m trying hard to complete long languishing projects to clear out some space in my craft storage.
I had two lengths of flannel, bought on sale for something minimal like $2 a yard, that I prewashed and folded away and forgot about. Time for lounging pants!
These are about the world’s simplest sewing project. I spread out a pair of knit pants I wear to the gym and cut around one leg, adding in a half inch seam allowance and a little extra fabric because the flannel doesn’t have the stretch of the knit pants. I cut the front down a little lower as fronts don’t need as much fabric as backsides.
Then it is just a matter of sewing up the legs, attaching them to each other, and adding an elastic waist band.
I do my waist elastic a little differently than most patterns would call for. It drives me crazy when elastic twists or rolls or folds, and it always seems to. So I sew the elastic band together in my waist size, stretch it out and pin it around the flannel waist and sew the elastic down in a rollercoaster of curves to keep it in place. Then I fold under the raw edge at the top of the pants a quarter inch and fold the whole thing over and top stitch the edge down. The extra elastic stitching is hidden inside the pants – it is a little messy but hey, these are $5 homemade pants to sit on the couch in. No one is going to be judging my inside waist band. And the elastic doesn’t roll!
I’m not going to hem them until they’ve been washed a couple times, in case they shrink a bit more. If my new gym membership pays off, I may add a drawstring later as well. All in all, each pair took about 20 minutes to sew, and the fabric is gone from the stash, so I’m pleased. Plus they are comfy!
My rug knitting project is also progressing rapidly. Ten big skeins almost gone from the stash! I have about ten inches to go, which won’t take long on these size 15 needles. The steek where the tube will be cut open is really obvious now. And the true joy of steeks is that the color changes happen there, so no ends have to be sewn in.
I’m wondering now why I didn’t put a checkerboard on the ends as well. Though I suppose most of it will be cut away anyway.
It really is using up this yarn. Here’s all that was left of one color at the end of the last color change.