My sewing set up since we moved is not ideal. I’ve gone from having a dedicated room – small but with lots of shelves and several table spaces – to a corner of the family room.
I swing the gate-leg table leaf up when I want to cut or iron, sliding the boards back against the wall by the desk when I’m done. It is a tight space, and looks messy when even a few supplies are out.
The storage space is also problematic.
I’ve got a hall closet nearby, with more stuffed in the coat closet, a couple of shelves in the office, and more still packed up in the garage. There is no hope of a full quilt sized design wall that I’ve been able to figure out yet.
It will improve. A few more shelves can go in the main closet, and I can definitely pare down as well. Some shelves above the sewing area will help as well.
But nothing is going to turn it back into a separate sewing room, until a kid goes off to college. And that is a good seven years away.
Still, I can sew, even if I can’t find all my notions yet. (Maybe the good scissors are still in the garage boxes?) And I have a couple of finishes to share.
In July my cousin and I made small fused fabric quilt tops, and this week I finished the two fish I made then.
The top one is about half the size of the lower one. I added top stitching details on the bodies and fins and tried to make creek bottom pebbles and water lines with varying degrees of success. The small one is going to my nephew who is crazy for fishing, and my Mom got the other one because she’s my mom and has to appreciate my sewing projects. Also, her condo walls are still quite bare a year after she moved in, so she can’t claim she has nowhere to put the things I give her.
The first one I did I didn’t think through well enough and I had a multitude of thread ends to bury. The second one I wised up and did the stitching with just the top and the batting so I just had to pull the thread through to the back but didn’t have to knot them all and bury them between the layers.
You can see what I mean in the pics below. In the first I had all those ends to knot. In the lower one, I just left them loose and tangled and covered them up when I added the backing.
The area works OK for these small projects but it is going to be interesting to see if I can wrestle with larger projects in that small area. I may need to move to the dining room table for real quilting.