As the holiday winds down, I’ve been puttering about, craft-wise. Mostly with yarn and fiber.
I spun up some pink and brown BFL, and then dyed some humbug BFL to make a second ply. For a third, I used up a bobbin of brown and black alpaca that I spun quite some time ago from a batt I carded.
I ended up with about 240 yards of worsted weight 3 ply.
The brown alpaca ran out first, so to use up the rest of the bobbins, I mixed in random left overs from other spins, first some gold/brown, and then some pink silk/wool.
Note the classy toilet paper tubes – they fit over the yarn winder and are perfect for clearing bobbins for reuse. A bit bumpy when rolling during plying, but not too bad.
It seemed very over-plied when it first came off the wheel, but the soak evened it out.
Since I was running out of colorful fibers, I dyed some more today in 4 oz. batches.
They’ll need a day or two to dry out, and then ready for new year spinning.
I also gave the wheel a coat of Danish oil as the wood seemed thirsty to me. It was drying outside until the rains started up again, so it is finishing inside. The brand I bought is low fumes and food safe, and I could tell the wheel was grateful for the attention!
Other than that, I’ve gotten a bit of knitting done, but haven’t touched the sewing machine. The craft room needs some clearing out so I can free up work space.