Or at least a determined friend and a deadline.
In March of 2009 (!) I started knitting a shawl pattern called Aeolian. It is a popular pattern – Ravelry currently has 4385 projects linked to the pattern. And I was deep in the throes of my lace knitting addiction. The thinner the yarn, the more complicated the charts, the more I loved it.
And boy, Aeolian had 6-7 charts, it had beads, it had nupps (soon to become my nemesis), it called for size 2 needles, and I knit it from a cone of the finest yarn I’d ever cast on, a 50/50 linen and cashmere cobweb weight thread-like yarn.
It went so well for quite a while.
Then, at some point, I wandered off. Squirrel! And I didn’t pick it up again for two years. By then it was taking 30 minutes a row, but progress was happening and I could see it grow, and I worked through more of the charts and though I still detested doing nupps, I got better at them so I didn’t dread those rows.
But something shiny must have caught my eye again because back it went into the dark hole of hibernating projects for two more years until I had a brief burst of working that got me to the last chart and the beading. It took nearly an hour a row by then, but I got to the last chart, and then it went back into the drawer.
2013 was the last time I pulled it out. My Ravelry project page reminded me of my neglect occasionally, but it stayed shoved in the back of my fiber dresser. Lurking.
Then this summer my friend talked about how she needed to start a wedding shawl for a niece whose wedding was relatively soon – close enough to make it a bit of a speed knitting slog – and I had a eureka moment that would solve her deadline issues and get me out from under the Aeolian forever.
So I sent off the pages of pattern printouts, the vials of beads, the needles, and that 90% finished Aeolian to Leslie and sat back, relieved.
She finished it!
And it is so beautiful!
It is going to make a wonderful bridal shawl.