It turns out that sticking my poor 77 year old mother into my husband’s shoes and dragging her out into the rain and wind and making her perch on a chair to hold up a quilt is fraught with peril.
And blurry photos.
I guess this is a Chinese Coins quilt, though I don’t know if it affects the definition that I made the columns different widths. For me, it was a way to make another scrappy quilt, this time using up a lot of leftover strips. There is fabric in here from pretty much every quilt I’ve ever made, even my sister’s zombie quit. (I need to remember to blog that one!)
I especially like the backing fabric, which is a Kaufman fabric called Quill by Valori Wells. It is a riot of peacocks and flowers and vines. It wasn’t wide enough, so I added a deep teal stripe to finish the back and used the same teal for the binding.
When I quilted it, I did white straight lines in the white sashing and free motion square(ish) boxes in the color columns. I used gray on the front for the boxes and changed the bobbin color from white in the print section to teal in the teal stripe. It isn’t perfect but I like how it turned out.